Pete's Oatmeal Stout

I just tapped Pete’s Oatmeal stout.

It will be called “TCOB Oatmeal” since TCOB has already paid Virginia for that name and product code.

Just so everyone knows, Virginia requires keg label approval for any beer sold in Virginia. You send in a digital copy of your keg label, give them 30 bucks and you get a product code and an approved label. Virginia doesn’t care if you put the label on the keg. We use what I call are toe tag labels unless it goes out to distribution and then it gets the approve label.

So, if you brew a beer here and really want to name it, it will cost you 30 bucks and a few weeks time for approval, otherwise pick a beer name that resembles the beer you made off the ‘Wall of Names’. Since TCOB has already gotten approval we can use that name.

I am having a taste of Pete’s beer as I type and I’m impressed. Pete used Weyermann Carafa 1 rather than chocolate malt. I am impressed with this malt. BSG describes this malt as: “It’s carefully roasted to add an espresso-like bouquet, coffee and chocolate flavors, and a mild but noticeable roasted aftertaste” He used 3.4% if it in his recipe. I get the slight coffee and mild dark chocolate notes but, I wonder what it would taste like with a higher percentage of this malt?

Nicely done Pete. Very tasty beer.

1 Like

Travis is going to do a beer release marking thing for friday. The beer is on tap.

1 Like

Glad to hear. Good job Pete! I will come by and try it either tomorrow or Friday for the release.